Broccoli was one vegetable that I hated the most. However the very first time I started reading about healthy veggies, I was surprised that broccoli kind of topped the list!
I decided to try out some nice broccoli dish to just give the veggie a chance 😉 I first tried tandoori (oven baked) broccoli. I will be putting up the recipe for that soon! I did like the crispy broccoli florets but was not sure if I would like broccoli as a side dish for Indian bread (chapathi). So I experimented a little to get this broccoli curry. The finely chopped broccoli along with green pepper, tomato and onion cooked in Indian spices makes a deliciously healthy side!! I had this with quinoa chapathis and it was just too yummy 🙂
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (I used red onions)
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped green peppers (capsicum)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes (I used tomatoes on vine. Can be substituted with roma variety as well)
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 thai red chillies finely chopped (Can be substituted with green chillies as well)
- 2 tsp oil of choice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 3/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp cumin (jeera) powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp lemon zest (optional)
- Finely chopped coriander to garnish (optional)
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
- In a medium sized saucepan heat 2 tsp of oil. Once heated, add 1 tsp cumin (jeera) seeds and let it crackle.
- Add the chopped garlic and chillies and saute well.
- Add chopped onions and continue to saute. Add 1/4 tsp salt to the onions. This helps to cook the onion quickly.
- Once the onion changes color lightly, add the green peppers. As the peppers start to cook, add the chopped tomatoes and broccoli.
- Add the spices (cumin, coriander, turmeric and chill powders) and 1/2 tsp of salt. Add 3 tbsp water to this and let the veggies cook well. Stir occasionally.
- Once the veggies are cooked, turn the heat off and add the lemon zest to the curry and mix well. Garnish with coriander and serve hot with Chapathi/Rice.