I love Tzatziki sauce 🙂 (I love Mediterranean food in general!!). I remember the first time I had Tzatziki at a restaurant. I just could not have enough of it and kept ordering some more. The same day I tried it at home and since then it has become my go-to side dish for rice/bread.
Shredded cucumber in Tzatziki inspired me to come up with a similar dip using zucchini. I think shredded veggies go really well in sauces or dips. Here I have brought together a south Indian version of yogurt dip and zucchini to get a really flavorful side. Not only that, it is really healthy too because like cucumber, zucchini contains very high amounts of water making it a naturally low calorie vegetable.
For the dip
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup yogurt (I used greek yogurt)
- 2 dried red chillies (Can be subsituted with green chillies and adjusted according to taste)
- 1 tbsp grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp jeera
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil
For the tempering (optional)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 10 min
- Add 1 tsp oil into a non-stick saucepan. Once the oil is hot add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and 1/2 tsp cumin (jeera).
- Once the mustard seeds crackle and cumin seeds change color slightly, add the shredded zucchini to the saucepan.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt and saute well for about 2 min. The zucchini need not be cooked really well.
- Turn off the heat and let the zucchini cool a little.
- Add half of the cooked zucchini to a mixer. To this, add 2 dried red chillies and 1tbsp grated coconut. Grind this mixture to a fine paste.
- Take 1/2 cup thick yogurt in a mixing bowl. Add the other half of the cooked zucchini in the saucepan to this. Also add the ground zucchini-coconut paste and mix well.
- You can add some water to this if you feel it is too thick. Also you can add some more salt and adjust it according to your taste.
- Optionally you can add tadka (Indian tempering) to this. For the tadka, take 1 tsp oil in pan. Add 1/2 tsp urad dal (split black gram) to the oil once it is heated. After the dal changes color slightly, add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and 1/2 tsp cumin (jeera) and let it crackle. Turn off the heat and add the tempering to the yogurt dip.
One thought on “Zucchini Yogurt Dip (Raitha)”
[…] I have not used zucchini in a while! Strange!! I generally buy zucchinis when I have a hectic week! Zucchini is super nutritious, easy and quick to cook and it also pairs well with any kind of flavor. If you have not already checked it out, I have two other great zucchini recipes on the blog – Zucchini Stir Fry(Palya/Poriyal) and Zucchini Yogurt Dip(Raitha)! […]