Recently I have been reading a lot about food fads and myths! I am not sure how I got hooked onto this 🙂 So one of the things that came up was that eating good fats kind of plays a good role in weight loss! I am not a nutritionist to go into lots of details here, but the long and short of it is that incorporating some good fats might be healthy! And stuff like olive oil, avocados, different nuts, tofu, etc are loaded with healthy fats.
So I have been trying to incorporate some of this when I cook. I came across an avocado paratha (flatbread) recipe recently! I am sorry but I don’t know the name of the blog 🙁 The concept of including avocado with the dough seemed really interesting! I tried out my own version of this flatbread. I also used a stuffing of tofu which ups the healthy quotient level 🙂 So this quick snack is bursting with a lot of healthy and flavorful goodness!!!!
For the dough
- 1 cup whole wheat flour + 2 tbps more for dusting
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 medium sized avocado
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
For the filling
- 4 oz tofu
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 chopped jalapeno
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
Preparation Time: 30 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
Servings: 7 parathas
- Cut the avocado and scoop the pulp into a large mixing bowl. Take a spoon and mash the pulp. Add in 1/4 tsp salt, the lemon juice and cumin seeds.
- Add in the wheat flour 1/2 cup at a time. I used 1 cup of wheat flour, but you might need more or less depending on the size of the avocado and the kind of flour. Knead the flour into a dough like consistency. I had to sprinkle a few drops of water at the end.to get my dough together. Allow the dough to rest for 15-20 min.
- For preparing the filling, take the tofu in a plate and place it between two paper towels and squeeze out all the water. Then crumble the tofu well. Add in chopped cilantro, jalapeno, all the spices and squeeze in a little lemon juice.The filling is ready!
- Once the dough is rested, give it a good knead and make about 6-7 medium-sized balls out of it. (Depends on the size of the parathas you like) Divide the filling into as many portions as the dough.
- On a clean, dry surface dust some flour and roll out a ball of dough. Keep the filling in the center and fold it from all sides till the filling is completely covered. (Adjust the size and thickness of the dough you roll out to ensure that the filling does not come out).
- Dust some flour on this filled ball and gently roll it out into the desired shape and size. Do not try to make it too thin as it will tear. Also dust flour as needed if you feel it is too difficult to roll it out.
- Take a skillet, brush some oil on it and heat it for a few minutes. Then slowly place this rolled out flatbread on the skillet. Brush it with a little oil and let it cook for a few minutes. Then slowly flip the bread over and let the other side cook. Once done, store it in an airtight container till you use it. Repeat the process for the rest of the dough.