I open a can of black beans or chickpeas when I am really short of time and have to put something together real quick! For me anything homemade counts as healthy because when I eat out it is kind of harder to keep track of things! So for unplanned hectic schedules, I keep a can of these beans around to avoid eating out. Similarly, tofu is another thing that I leave in my refrigerator for busy times. You can pretty much add any flavor to tofu and make it interesting in minutes :).
One Sunday afternoon when I really had no time or energy to spend in the kitchen, I thought of making this combination! For me a keeper recipe is one that is easy, quick, can be stored for later if left over and also has some healthy twist. Guess this recipe has all of it! Add up all the protein :). I made this wrap two ways – with hummus spread and mint chutney! Both tasted yummy! I was partial to the spicy mint chutney :). Go ahead and try this with your favorite spreads.. The options are endless. Already thinking of adding some guacamole or salsa or tzatziki!
- 1/2 can of 15.5 ounce black beans (about 250 grams)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 4 oz extra firm cubed tofu (about 100 grams)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin (jeera) powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 whole wheat tortillas or chapatis (Indian flatbread)
Preparation Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 10 min
- Heat a pan. Cook the tortillas or chapatis lightly on both sides on the pan and keep it aside. Heat 1 tsp oil in the pan. Add in the chopped onions and sprinkle some salt. Saute well till they cook a little. Add in the tofu and saute on high till the tofu starts getting golden brown. Don’t forget to saute as you may burn the bottom otherwise.
- Add the black beans. Add in all the spices and adjust salt to taste. Give everything a good mix and turn off the heat. You can store this black bean tofu stir fry for later, if you are preparing in advance. If that is the case, just warm it up a little before assembling the wrap.
- To assemble the wrap, just spread you favorite chutney on one side of the tortilla. Place the filling in the centre. Drizzle more chutney if you like and just fold the tortilla up tight from two sides!