Sandwiches make for great grab-and-go lunches or even breakfasts. There are a ton of variations that you can do with a simple sandwich – add in cucumber and cream cheese, or hummus, or pesto or just cheese 🙂 The creativity does not stop there. If you have not already, check out my ‘yogurt’ cream cheese sandwich post – an amazing protein packed healthy breakfast that can be put together in under 10 minutes.
This recipe is for another sandwich that comes together very quickly. I am not a huge fan of canned vegetables, but when it comes to canned beans I am all for it – I always have some canned black beans, white beans and chickpeas lying around the kitchen. This helps me put together a quick healthy meal and kind of helps with the budget too 🙂 (No impulsive restaurant take outs on weeknights :D) I am a total believer in the idea that home cooked food is healthy and works great for the budget too! If you are not huge on cooking at home, just give some simple recipe a try and see how it goes 🙂 Cooking is not half as complicated as we think it is and it can be a great way to bring family or friends together for a fun-filled time 🙂
I love falafels and this recipe just combines the spices that give falafels their unique taste, into a sandwich form. Cooked and lightly mashed chickpeas are combined with parsley, cumin and other easily available condiments to make a great sandwich filling. The crunch of the chickpeas just adds a wonderful texture when you bite into this delicious sandwich!
- 1 15 ounce can of chickpeas (if using dried chickpeas, please refer to notes below)
- 1/2 cup parsley (substitute with more cilantro if you can’t find parsley)
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes (substitute with green chillies for a spicy filling)
Salt to taste
- Juice from 1/2 lemon (optional)
Preparation Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 5 min
Servings: 3 sandwiches
Wash the chickpeas with water and drain the water completely. Pat dry with a clean kitchen towel.
Take half of the chickpeas, parsley, cilantro, cumin powder and chilli flakes in a blender. Pulse well till almost smooth.
- Add the other half of the chickpeas to the blended mixture and give it a quick pulse so that it gets slightly mashed. (Not completely smooth).
- Adjust salt and spice according to your taste. Add in some lime juice too if you like the filling to be tangy.
- To assemble the sandwich, toast two slices of bread. Spread the 1-2 tbsp of the filling on one slice of bread. Cover with the other slice. Press lightly to spread the filling evenly. Cut into thirds and serve.
- Repeat for the rest of the filling.
If you are starting with dried chickpeas, soak 1/2 cup of dried chickpeas in water overnight. Drain the excess water and pressure cook with a pinch of salt and as much water as required to cook the chickpeas. Don’t overcook the chickpeas as it will become mushy.
One thought on “Falafel spiced chickpea(Channa) sandwich”
I can’t wait to try this it looks so good!! I love falafel! This would also be great stuffed in sweet potatoes with quinoa 😊 yumm