Khaman Dhokla is an Indian steamed savory cake made using chickpea flour/gram flour/besan. It is one quick, healthy treat that is loved by all! It is one of those classic dishes like Indian samosas. There a ton of variants and recipes already up on the internet for a lot of khaman dhokla recipes and other variants! But this is my take on it. I figured it had to feature on my blog since I make it practically every time I am hungry and want something super quick. There are a couple of pros and cons of using microwave to prepare dhokla. For the plus points – it is really easy, quick and is a great way to stay away from junk food when you are super hungry! On the other hand, like most quick shortcuts to Indian food, using a microwave just does not give the same texture as steaming the dhokla. That being said I still love this recipe 😀
Traditionally, khaman dhokla is prepared using just gram flour – but I add in some oats and spinach to make it a totally wholesome meal or in fact a super traditional quick, healthy breakfast on weekdays. Seriously! Hear me out! You can prepare everything the night before. Keep all the dry ingredients and spices ready in a microwaveable mug/bowl. All you have to do is mix some yogurt and water. Add some baking soda or fruit salt and some oil. And in it goes into the microwave for 2-3 minutes. How easy is that! Prepare the seasoning also in advance 😛
I featured this in my diabetic friendly recipe category because it is so wholesome. Chickpea flour is high in fiber and has a low glycemic index. And we have oats flour too here! Another ‘super flour’ – oats is heart healthy, low glycemic food. Starting the day with good wholesome nutritious food keeps you powered through the day! Also, having these easy recipes around helps fight that mid-afternoon hunger too. Instead of reaching out for sme processed, packaged food, you can put something together really quickly 🙂
Did you know that chickpea flour or besan is high in fiber and is particularly helpful in controlling cholesterol, maintaining healthy heart and stabilizing blood sugars?
Microwave Khaman-Oats Spinach Dhokla
- 2 tsp gram flour
- 2 tsp oats flour
- pinch of turmeric
- pinch of hing (asafoetida)
- handful of chopped spinach
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp fruit salt or baking soda
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 green chilli
- dash of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- 1 tsp oil
- grated coconut (optional)
- handful of chopped cilantro (optional)
For the seasoning
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- In a microwave-safe bowl or mug add the spinach. Microwave for 30 seconds. Let it cool for 30 seconds.
- Add in the flour, turmeric, hing, salt, green chilli and ginger.
- Add the yogurt and add water little by little till you have a batter of pourable consistency. Add the oil and lemon juice and mix again.
- Just before putting the batter into the microwave, add in the baking soda or fruit salt(eno). Add 1 tsp oil and mix lightly.
- Microwave on high for 1 min. After that, microwave for another 1 -2 min in 30 second intervals. A knife inserted in centre should come out clean. (Do not overcook or the dhokla will become hard).
- For the seasoning, in a small pan, heat 1 tsp oil. Add the mustard seeds and let it crackle. Add this on top of the dhokla. Top with some grated coconut or chopped cilantro. Dig right into the bowl!