Uthappam is one of the easiest breakfast dishes that you can try. With some dosa batter and chopped veggies on hand, you can create a delicious breakfast in minutes. I am all about adding some wholesome ingredients like whole grains or vegetables in every meal – hence the mixed veggie oats uthappam! I also feel that the quicker it is to prepare something, the more likely I will try it – So I opt for simple and quick recipe fixes.
Oats is really filling and will keep you full through the morning. Plus the added vegetables are a bonus! Most often, dosa with chutney is a common breakfast – but it is really great to include more vegetables with uthappams or something like spring dosa. Give this uthapam a try – use all the veggies that your family likes! Add in some grated paneer for a special Sunday brunch! 😀
Oats Mixed Vegetable Uthappam (Instant)
- 1 1/3 cup oats flour
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 2 tbsp semolina (rava)
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 150 grams green beans
- 2 small carrots
- 1 small capsicum
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, yogurt and water and mix to get a smooth batter. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Chop the green beans, onions, and capsicum. Peel and grate the 2 carrots.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add mustard and cumin seeds and let the mustard seeds splutter. Add the onions and capsicum and saute till the onion gets slightly translucent.
- Add the green beans and sprinkle some salt. Saute on high for 3-4 minutes till the green beans get slightly cooked. Add the grated carrot and chilli powder and mix well. Let this mixture cool.
- To make the uthappam, heat a non-stick skillet. Spread 1/2 tsp oil on it. Pour 1 ladleful of batter on the skillet and spread it to about 1/4 inch thickness. Spread 1 tbsp of mixed veggie filling on top and 1/2 tsp oil around the edges.
- Let the underside of uthappam cook and then gently flip. Let the other side cook on low flame for a few minutes. Press the uthappam with a spatula to ensure it cooks evenly.
Once both sides are cooked, the uthappam is ready to be served. To prepare the next uthappam, sprinkle some water to cool the pan a little. Then repeat the process with the rest of the batter.