Back after a break from Thanksgiving! Whenever I travel it is harder to eat healthy – so I was thinking of something easy that I can put together and prepare in a microwave. This recipe is perfect for that. All you need is a few basic ingredients and breakfast will be ready in minutes. This is the answer to busy weekday no-time-for-breakfast issue 🙂 🙂
Oats is great for breakfast – it has a lot of fibre and keeps you full through the morning. Another great thing is that you can pretty much flavour oats with anything – it picks it up well! I am personally not so fond of sweet oatmeal for breakfast and prefer this savory version. I have used basic spices like cumin powder and red chilli powder – you can play around and use whatever suits your taste!
Microwave Savory Oats Stir-Fry (Oats Upma)
- 4 tbsp oats
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp mixed vegetables (I used some carrots and peas – feel free to use whatever you like!)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/8 tsp cumin powder
- a pinch of turmeric
- a dash of lemon juice (optional)
- In a microwaveable mug or bowl, add water, veggies, salt and spices and microwave for 1 min 30 seconds on highest power.
- Once the water is hot, add the oats and mix. If you feel it is very dry – sprinkle a little water. Let the oats sit for 2-3 mins for it to fluff up well. Just before serving, add some lemon juice. Mix well, microwave for 30 seconds and serve hot!