Sandwiches are about the easiest snacks/breakfasts you can put together. There are a ton of variations that you can do with the fillings – savory and sweet. When it comes to something sweet, my favorite combination is bananas and honey! I always prefer using a whole wheat or multi grain bread over white bread because it is healthier. Pair 2 slices of whole wheat bread with 1/2 large banana and you get a super filling breakfast or snack that will keep you powered for hours.
Check out the video recipe below:
In this recipe, I have chosen to roast/caramelize the bananas. This adds a wonderful flavor and makes the bananas seem sweeter. The slightly cooked bananas also help in binding the sandwich together well. The recipe is fairly simple, roast the bananas, toast the bread and then assemble the sandwich. I added some honey to add some sweetness. I also added some almonds in to give some crunch. You can leave this out or try other variations. I sometimes spread almond butter onto one of the bread slices for a slight variation.
Roasted Banana & Honey Sandwichs
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 large or 2 medium bananas sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped almonds
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp oil
- In a non stick pan, place the sliced bananas. Drizzle some oil and let the bananas roast well on one side. Gently flip the bananas and let the other side cook for a min or two. You might notice the bananas stick to the pan – if that happens, just gently scrape off those sticky bits to prevent them from burning.
- Place 2 slices of bread on a non stick skillet. Spread a little oil on both sides of the bread and toast very lightly.
- Assemble the sandwich by placing the caramelized bananas on one slice of bread. Drizzle some honey and add some chopped almonds as well. Place the other bread slice on top and press gently.
- Now toast this sandwich on both sides.
- Repeat with the other 2 slices of bread.
- Serve warm. You can add some more honey/nut butter on top for a variation.