Sometimes when i am home early, I just want to keep munching on something. If it is summer I just have a cool cucumber or tangy tomato salad or chaat. But during winter I just don’t feel like having something cold. I generally prefer to have some crisp oven roasted veggies or some veggies sauteed quickly. So that is how I first ended up trying this dish! Yes, zucchini is not typically seasonal during winter, but because its usually available all the year I generally end up getting it anytime I feel like trying something out 🙂
This stir fry is really easy to make and takes hardly 5 mins to cook! It has also got a good crunch because of all the lentils that is used for seasoning. All in all this has become my go-to snack whenever I am hungry and find zucchini in the refrigerator. You could also use this as a side for quinoa or rice! Although I have posted the recipe here using both zucchini and cucumber, you could try either just the zucchini or cucumber or well 🙂
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 10-15 curry leaves
- 2 green chillies (or you can substitute with red chillies)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (haldi)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp grated coconut to garnish
Preparation Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 5 min
- Chop the cucumber and zucchini into bite-sized pieces. Chop the chillies as well.
- In a medium sized saucepan heat 1 tsp of oil. Once heated, add the chana dal. Once the chana dal starts to change color, add the urad dal. Again once the urad dal changes color a little. add the mustard and cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add the chopped chillies, turmeric and curry leaves and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped veggies and salt and sprinkle very little water. Saute it for a min or two. The veggies don’t actually need to cook! I just saute it a little till it gets warm 🙂
- Garnish with some grated coconut or some chopped coriander leaves just before serving. The chana dal and urad dal add a super crunchy texture to this easy dish!