For a really long time I never liked salads 🙂 It was not that I hated salads, it was more like I wouldn’t try a salad unless it was practically the only thing available at some restaurant! (And that never happened 😉 ) The first time that I really thought about trying salad was when I was browsing through Pinterest. What grabbed my attention was not so much the recipe as the pictures! I am not sure if you would believe me if I said that I was drooling at salad pictures! Even now, after I have become an ardent fan of salads, the most appealing part of any salad is the wonderful colors and texture!
I have recently started having salad as a side almost everyday at dinner. Salads are so easy to put together – no elaborate cooking or clean up is required. Also, you can never go wrong with a salad. The trick though is to keep it simple! I find that having a salad is a great way for me to cut down on the main dish like bread or rice or quinoa. This recipe is a really basic salad recipe. I love the combination of greens and cucumber. I added in some bright peppers too. Just raw. I did not bother roasting them. But they tasted great! And I added some sun dried tomatoes too. I love the chewiness of sun dried tomatoes!! And I topped with some feta 😀 Oh and a tangy lime cumin dressing 🙂 Crunchy cucumbers, chewy tomatoes, salty feta and a nice tangy cumin flavor – this salad just nails it all!
- 3-4 persian cucumbers (works best with these, but normal cucumbers work well too)
- 1/2 medium green pepper
- 1/2 medium yellow pepper
- 1/2 large red onion
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp feta cheese (optional)
- 1 cup mixed greens (I used a combination of arugula and baby spinach, you can either or both)
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice (makes the salad quite tangy!)
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp oil
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes (optional – for extra heat)
Preparation Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 0 min
- Chop the vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix the lime juice, oil, cumin powder, salt and ground black pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the greens. Then add the chopped cucumbers, onions and bell peppers. Add the sundried tomatoes and feta as well.
- Add the dressing. Top with chili flakes (for extra heat!) Toss the salad well and serve as a side.